Friday, May 25, 2012

Fun and Healthy Ways to Stay Cool in the Summer

I wanted to share a few ideas for staying cool this summer using fruit! I am the first one to pack up all the kids in the car and drive to get ice-cream....but seriously, I needed some other ways to keep cool without the extra sugar and pounds. So here goes-

Strawberry and Coconut Ice Cream- 

Thanks Beth and Abby for this idea! We tried it today and it is super delicious.

Bag of frozen strawberries
Can of coconut milk
1-4 Packets of Stevia (depending on how sweet you or the kids like it, we did 2 and I think we could have def done one more)

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor. I did let the strawberries sit out for a little bit before I blended them, but you definitely want to mix them up before they thaw. They are like the "ice" for your ice cream.


Banana Smoothie-

This idea was born out of our need to eat up all the bananas that only had a few more days before they went down the hill.

Frozen bananas
Milk

You can really do as many bananas as you want. I froze about 8 of them...we just had a lot of bananas and apparently they weren't very popular that week because they were just sitting and not getting eaten.

Blend the bananas and the milk. Enjoy :-)


Fruit Juice Pops- 

The kids love these.

You need-

Fruit Juice
Container to put in the freezer

You can either use the tray specifically for making popsicles, or cups or really any tupperware and a popsicle stick.

Feel free to post any ideas you have! As the days get hotter, we need lots of ideas! And of course, we do make our occasional stops to the local ice cream shops. We know of a few...depending on which way we're headed :-).

3 comments:

  1. We are finding new ways to beat the heat here too. I've made strawberry mango popsicles and spinach popsicles so far. And we blended a smoothy mix of strawberries bananas and coconut milk and put it in the icecream maker. I have a feeling it is going to be a long hot summer where we are. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I love "meeting" new people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I do too! It's great finding other blogs and "meeting" new people :-). So, I'm intrigued by the spinach popsicles!! Would love to see what you put in them? We've also done the bananas, strawberry and coconut milk. Yum.

      Delete
    2. I actually did a post about the spinach popsicles. They don't taste like spinach at all. Here is a link to the post. http://www.mommyhoodessentials.blogspot.com/2012/05/spinach-popsicles.html

      Delete